Parents who desire to have their child baptized should first call the parish office to schedule a time to attend Baptism Preparation Class. Baptism is held the third Sunday of every month.
In Church law, for the purposes of reception of baptism, every child under the age of seven is considered an infant and is therefore eligible for baptism without special catechesis. Once a child reaches the age of seven, which is the presumed age of reason, he or she must first take part in a special program before receiving the sacrament. Please contact the Director of Religious Education, Sr. Anthonia Osuesu at (713) 672-7773 for more information to enrll in class.
Requirement for Parents
- Must present original copy of child’s Birth Certificate at the time of interview.
- At least one parent must be a practicing Catholic and a member of St. Francis of Assisi Parish.
- Parents and Godparents must attend a baptismal preparation classes at least two months prior to baptism.
Requrement for Goparents (Sponsors)
A prospective godparent (also called a "sponsor") must be of sufficient maturity both in age and in the practice of the Catholic Faith.
Therefore, he or she must be:
- A Confirmed Catholic, that is he or she must have received the Sacrament of Confirmation.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Godparents must attend a baptismal preparation class at least two months prior to baptism.
A child may have two godparents, but one is sufficient.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ENTERING FIRST PENANCE AND FIRST COMMUNION
- Baptized children who are in second grade Religion Class or Parochial School and have completed one year of Religious Education may begin preparation for the Sacrament of First Penance and First Communion.
- Students must be enrolled in and regularly attending Religious Education classes or Religion class in a Catholic School and has had at least one prior (consecutive) year of Religious Education.
- To be considered a candidate, a copy of student’s Baptismal certificate must be on file in the Parish Religious Education Office before classes start. Parents/guardians are responsible for requesting and submitting this information.